Biotechnology is an application-oriented science which combines a number of different disciplines such as biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology and process engineering. It uses enzymes, micro-organisms, cell and tissue cultures to refine products or produce new products. All fields have cutting-edge, well-equipped laboratories at their disposal where students enhance their theoretical knowledge with practical lab. work.
Excellent ranking results: In the German national CHE university ranking published in the ZEIT newspaper, the Biotechnology degree programme at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences was awarded very good marks in several categories.
Programme Coordination:Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Cristina-Maria Sirrenberg-Cruciat
Degree programme leaflet
Facts and Figures - at a glance
|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)|
|Faculty||Science, Energy and Building Services|
|Campus||Esslingen City Centre Campus|
|Number of semesters||7|
|Language of instruction||German|
For the summer semester: up to January 15thFor the winter semester: up to July 15th
|Information on admission requirements|
Bioprocess and plant engineering or molecular biotechnology
|Continuing Master Programs||Biotechnology (M.Sc.)|
The curriculum for the degree programme and detailed descriptions of the programme modules are contained in the Module Catalogue.Module Catalogue Biotechnology (German Version)
Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPO, in German)
- Current version of the programme-specific Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPO, in German) Stand vom 08.07.2019, gültig für Einschreibungen ab Wintersemester 2019-20
- Complete Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (in German) Bachelor nichtamtliche Lesefassung, Stand vom 27.01.2021
- You find the complete list of all Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPOs, in German) in the intranet.
With a Bachelor degree in Biotechnology you can work in the following fields:
- research and development
- analysis, quality control and diagnostics
- new and further development of technical instruments for biotechnology, genetic engineering and analytical applications
- planning, development, commissioning, optimisation of production plants and processes
- production and processing of products from bioprocesses
- project management and application-oriented technical consultancy work.