ALT + + Change font size
ALT + / Change contrast
ALT + Q Quicklinks
ALT + P Header menu
ALT + M Main menu
ALT + U Footer
ALT + G Sitemap
ALT + O Search
ALT + I Content
ALT + K Contact
ESC Reset All

Financing your Studies

General Information

General Information

Studying for a degree can be quite expensive. The  Deutsches Studentenwerk publishes information on monthly student expenditure and what exactly the money is spent on. The information contained on the following pages should make you aware of some of the options available to help you fund your studies. For further information and advice you are welcome to contact the Student Advice Centre directly. Information on the services offered by the local and federal state authorities in Baden-Württemberg is available at service-bw.

The Studierendenwerk Stuttgart also offers advice on funding your studies.

People to contact: Student Advice Centre
Tel. 0711 397-3212


Thanks to BAföG (German Federal Law on Support for Education and Training), all young people should be able to complete a degree programme irrespective of their financial and social situation.


  • Financial situation: Whether you are eligible for BAföG and how high your grant will be depends on your own income/financial means and the income of your parents.
  • Nationality: German students are eligible for funding. Foreign students may also receive funding if they belong to one of the groups listed in § 8 BAföG (text available in German only)
  • Age: Students must be under 30 years of age when they start their Bachelor's degree, and under 35 years of age when they start their Master’s degree. The regulation contains a number of exceptions e. g. for students with a child/children.

Suitability and compliance with the maximum period of funding: The maximum period of BAföG funding at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences is seven semesters.

Further information and how to apply

Students at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences can submit their BAföG application to the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart.

BAföG funding usually takes the form of a 50% grant and the other half as an interest-free loan.

BAfög website

Grants & Foundations

Grants & Foundations

A number of funding options are available to help you finance your degree course. Grants are a marvellous possibility.

Basic information on grants

Grants are provided by foundations. The funding providers expect grant recipients to perform well academically, and almost always require some sort of social commitment as well. Foundations may also require applicants to fulfil their own specific stipulations.   Funding may also be available for foreign students. Searching for a suitable grant can be a time-consuming undertaking, but is well worth the effort!

Several grant providers accept applications from students themselves, other foundations require prospective grant recipients to be proposed by their university, usually by a lecturer.

Foundations aim to provide students with financial and other career-related support for a predefined specific purpose.

Overview of grants

Self-funding and maintenance


Self-funding means a student has sufficient savings, their parents provide financial support for their studies, or they work part-time to have sufficient money for the duration of their degree programme.


Parents are fundamentally obliged to maintain their child financially until it has obtained its first vocational or professional qualification. This obligation also applies when their university studies follow on from and are related to vocational education or training they have undertaken previously.

If the income of their parents is insufficient, students can obtain BAföG funding. The amount of maintenance awarded is calculated on a case-by-case basis. Please find out about what applies in your own particular situation.

The Düsseldorfer Tabelle (in German) is a guide to the amount of maintenance and lists the current levels of payment.

Part-time student jobs

Many students work part-time while they are at university to “improve their finances”.

Student jobs are often found by word-of-mouth, or from classified advertisements or notices posted at the university.  Esslingen University of Applied Sciences also offers student assistant jobs on a regular basis.  The University Career Centre can also help you to look for and apply for jobs. The Jobportal-Netzwerk is also worth looking at.

An overview of the tax and insurance issues you need to be aware of when working part-time is available from the Deutsches Studentenwerk. Further information can be found at students at work. When you work part-time during your studies, you must be careful not to exceed the maximum time allowed to complete your studies, and you need to plan things well and keep an eye on all relevant deadlines. 

Housing benefit

Entitlement to housing benefit

You may apply for housing benefit and your application will be successful only when “in principal” you are not entitled to receive BAföG  (§ 20 Para. 2 Wohngeldgesetz). If you are not eligible for BAföG because the income of your parents/spouse/partner or your own income/financial means is/are too high, you are not eligible for housing benefit, either. The maintenance obligation then falls on your parents and/or spouse/partner.

Obtaining information and submitting your application

You must submit an application and prove your entitlement in order to receive housing benefit. Application forms can be obtained from the local housing benefit authority (Wohngeldbehörde), or the municipal, metropolitan, local or district administrative authorities. They can also provide you with comprehensive advice.

Further information:

Studierendenwerk Stuttgart

Student loans

Student loans

If you cannot (fully) fund your studies from your own financial resources, you can consider taking out a student loan. Before you take out a loan, you should always check whether other options are available, because student loans have to be repaid with interest.

A wide range of options are available: some loans help you to pay your tuition fees, others also cover your living expenses as you study. Please seek advice and compare the various options.

An overview of the student loans currently on offer can be found at Studis online, for example.

At  CHE-Studienkredit-Test 2017 you will find a comparison of 43 student loans and educational funds.

Study funds

A study fund or educational fund is a kind of student loan. Unlike a student loan you get from a bank, the loan repayment in this case is coupled to your future salary and not to a rate of interest. Moreover, the funding body provides you with financial as well as other career-related support as you study.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees

In Baden-Württemberg, tuition fees are generally not charged for Bachelor's degree programs and consecutive Master's degree programs. Students who take up a second or further undergraduate program or a second or further consecutive Master's degree program after completing a university degree program in Germany must pay so-called second tuition fees of 650 euros per semester.

Tuition fees may also be charged for some of our part-time master's programs, especially for programs offered jointly with other institutions and sponsors. For more information, please refer to the relevant study programs.

Fees for International Students

Students who are not nationals of a member state of the European Union or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area are generally required to pay tuition fees in Baden-Württemberg. The amount of fees for international students is 1500,- Euro per semester.

However, the law provides for a few exceptional cases in which international students are not required to pay fees. If you fulfill these and prove this in time before enrollment or re-registration by appropriate documents, you do not have to pay the tuition fees for international students.

Tuition fee waiver for particularly talented international students

In addition to the statutory grounds for exemption, particularly talented international students have the opportunity to apply for exemption from tuition fees. The exemption is granted in accordance with the relevant statutes. Applications for this must be submitted in due time via the application form:

  • Application period: winter semester 2022/23 and summer semester 2023
  • Application deadline: 30.09.2022 (start of application 01.09.2022)
  • Number of possible exemptions: maximum 6 students
  • Required documents:
    •     Resume
    •     Current transcript of grades (For first-year students: (recognized) certificates of university admission)
    •     Certificate of study
    •     Passport copy
    •     Optional: Letter of recommendation/evaluation
    •     Optional: Certificate of previous studies (e.g. Bachelor)
    •     Optional: Other relevant and important documents related to the criteria

Application Form


Apply for summer semester 2023!

The application phase for the summer semester 2023 begins on October 15th 2022.

Start in the winter semester 2022/2023:  Direct enrolment in our open-admission programmes until 15 September 2022.

More information