Automotive Engineering (M.Eng.)
- continuation Master programme for the Automotive Engineering B.Eng and Automotive Systems B.Eng. Bachelor programmes,
- open to graduates with a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject (e.g. mechanical engineering) from Esslingen University of Applied Sciences or other universities
- a research project is a key component of the programme (group project over 2 semesters at the university)
- the automotive engineering Master programme is taught primarily in German, some modules may be taught in English
- the Master programme always starts in the summer semester
- applications must be sent to the Admissions Office by 15 January.
- research work in collaboration with industry
- teaching in small groups
- team of instructors with many years of experience
- laboratories with the latest equipment
- modules which deal with current and future topics in the automotive industry
- opportunities to specialise according to the choice of compulsory options.
Facts and Figures - at a glance
|Degree awarded||Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)|
|Faculty||Mobility and Technology|
|Campus||Esslingen City Centre Campus|
|Number of semesters||3|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Application Periods||For the summer semester: up to January 15th|
Application and Admission
Applications for this degree programme must be submitted online via the application portal for Master programmes at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences. Students may commence this degree programme in the summer semester only. Applications for the summer semester must have been received by 15 January.
Additional information on applying for the Master programme is available on the webpage of the Admissions Office.
To be admitted, applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in
- automotive engineering
- mechanical engineering
- or a related discipline with at least 50 points being achieved in the assessment of the subject-specific competence according to the procedure described in the paragraph on selection criteria.
(1) The selection grade is made up as follows: one third from the subject-specific competence and two-thirds from the final grade for the Bachelor’s degree.
a. A points system is used to assess the subject-specific competence acquired in the Bachelor programme. The Admissions Committee shall use the study and examination regulations which form the basis of the completed degree programme to determine how many ECTS Credits the applicant has obtained in the modules listed below or their equivalents. The module titles in the table corresponds to the modules of the Automotive Engineering Bachelor programme at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences.
The table also lists the maximum number of points which can be taken into account for each subject.
|Electronics and metrology||6 Credits|
|Electrical engineering 1, 2||10 Credits|
|Control systems and oscillations||6 Credits|
|Software Engineering||4 Credits|
|Signals and systems||6 Credits|
|Design engineering 1, 2, 3||18 Credits|
|Materials science and chemistry||5 Credits|
|Motor vehicles 1, 2||12 Credits|
|Communication and connectivity||4 Credits|
|Mathematics 1, 2, 3||16 Credits|
|Engineering mechanics 1||10 Credits|
|Simulation and validation (FEM)||6 Credits|
|Thermodynamics and fluid dynamics||4 Credits|
|Other technical subjects||6 Credits|
The Credits gained are added together. A maximum of 100 credit points can be achieved. The points P achieved are converted into an index K using a linear scale,
where K=-0.06 *P+7. If less than 50 points are achieved, the applicant cannot be admitted.
b. The overall grade of the degree
(2) Prior experience which provides proof the applicant has the requisite specialist expertise in this subject field, such as:
a. a successfully completed apprenticeship of at least 24 months’ duration which will be of benefit for this degree programme in accordance with the appendix to the Statutes for the university’s selection procedure for the degree programmes at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences (selection regulations) and
b. special previous training or practical experience of at least 24 months’ duration in the field of activity stated in the appendix to the Statutes for the university’s selection procedure for the degree programmes at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences (selection regulations) which will be of benefit for this degree programme and provide proof the applicant has the requisite specialist expertise in this subject field,
is taken into account in the calculation of the grade required for selection in case a) with a deduction of 0.2 and in case b) with a deduction of 0.1. Only one period of special previous training or practical experience can be taken into account. Proof of experience according to a) or b) must be provided in due time before the application deadline of 15 January by means of the appropriate documents. Retrospective submission is not possible.
Admission restrictions:40 programme places
Technical specialist or manager:
- for the development and testing of vehicles and automotive components
- in technical service and the sale of automotive components and complete vehicles
- in quality assurance
- or as a specialist or assessor.