We attach great importance to practice-oriented university teaching in the Bachelor's degree programmes. In addition to imparting scientific and theoretical knowledge, the focus lies on practical tasks. Practical exercises are also carried out in the labs in almost all courses. The acquired theoretical knowledge is illustrated and deepened by lab works in small groups. All labs are modernly equipped. The equipment meets industrial requirements. The lab's equipment is regularly renewed within short annual cycles. In addition to the labs, several PC pools are also available.
Lab Operating Systems
Interface between hardware and software
Work on the computer as a user, application programmer, and administrator with a networked UNIX and Windows system.
- Structure, concepts and security of operating systems
- Interprocess communication and synchronization, as well as network programming
- Use of services of an operating system via the user interface
- Unix command line language and shell script programming
Lab CAD of microelectronics
Computer-aided design of digital circuits
Description of digital circuits with VHDL, verification of the design by logic simulation, synthesis for realization in a FPGA, design of a test environment, testing on the evaluation board and possible redesign.
- Rapid Prototyping of Digital Circuits
- 7-segment display
- Arithmetic logic unit
- Deterministic automats
- Memory activation
- Structure of a CPU
- Digital signal processing by digital FPGA with A/D and D/A converter switched on
Lab Database Systems
efficient, consistent, permanent data management
Design and development of hierarchical, relational and object-oriented data models for database applications.
Application and consolidation in the administration of database management systems. Possibility of certification as IBM/DB2 administrator.
- Relational Algebra
- Database query language SQL
- Layer model, database architectures and components
- Administration of rights, indices, views, triggers and stored procedures
- Generation of evaluations by means of open standard interfaces (ODBC)
Within a project, small teams design and implement a database application from the idea to the executable product. They learn to estimate the effects of the data model on implementation, performance, maintainability and extensibility.
- Application of holistic concepts of intelligent decision support
- Online Analytical Processing
- Implementation of theoretical approaches of economic and technical decision support in real systems
- Establishment and learning of architectures and components of BI systems
- Establishment of multidimensional models, OLAP Cubes
- Modelling and implementation of Business Intelligence Systems
Data Mining, Big Data, Intelligent Data Analytics
- Application of data mining methods
- Selection of suitable technologies for data mining procedures and big data technologies
- Generation and recording of time series data
- Regression and prediction
- Mechanical learning methods: cluster analysis, classification
- Artificial neural networks
Functionality and testing of electronic circuits
Students learn to understand the functioning of electrical networks and electronic circuits. The handling of electronic components and measuring devices will be practiced.
- Diodes, Transistors and Operational Amplifiers
- Power supplies and signal generators
- Digital and analogue multimeters
- Digital storage oscilloscopes and analog oscilloscopes
Lab Embedded Systems
Model-based software development for embedded systems
Development of control unit software as a closed process with the steps: Design, modeling, simulation, automatic code generation, testing on the target system.
- Introduction to Stateflow
- Modeling/simulation of machine controls with MATLAB/Stateflow
- Automatic code generation/porting from Stateflow to embedded systems
- Modeling/simulation of distributed vehicle functions
- Development of an autonomously driving model car
Lab Embedded Systems Communication
Communication in distributed embedded systems
Design, simulation and analysis of communication solutions for embedded systems with different bus systems
- Modelling and simulation of dynamic systems, inner workings and problems of simulation
- Properties of control algorithms and their software implementation
Lab Information Technology
Functionality of microprocessors and peripheral components
PC workstations, process peripherals, development and simulation environments for microcontrollers, FPGAs and real-time communication in automation and automotive technology.
Combinatorial logic, switching units, calculation and control unit of a CPU, memory interface, simulation and analysis of digital systems with FPGAs.
- Microprocessor processor architecture and programming model
- Hardware-related programming, Assembler/C interface between operating system and hardware
- Computer-aided control and regulation
- Communication between computer systems in time- and safety-critical applications
- Interaction of software and hardware in computer systems
Lab communications engineering
Merging systems to form a computer network
LAN/WAN computer networks with special treatment of the TCP/IP protocol architecture of the Internet
Configuration and operation of complex IP networks, network security
- Communication protocols of TCP/IP networks
- Analysis of application services
- Implementation of programming interfaces, such as sockets and remote procedure calls
- Internet Protocol IPv6/ICMPv6
- Mobile IP networks and secure IP networks
- Network security
Lab Multimedia and Virtual Reality
Interface between man and computer
In the lab Multimedia and Virtual Reality the necessary knowledge and methods are imparted to master the human-computer interaction. Be it in the two-dimensional or the three-dimensional.
Two-dimensional user interfaces are graphical interfaces for software applications and websites. They must be intuitive, user-friendly and barrier-free. In addition to an appealing layout, usability and user experience are central tasks in the development of user interfaces.
Three-dimensional user interfaces are virtual worlds and environments. Complex products, such as cars, airplanes, machines and production plants, are nowadays designed as CAD models in the computer. Virtual worlds enable the three-dimensional visualization of complex products. The user can interact with the 3D scene and, for example, carry out assembly and disassembly studies. Perform ergonomics tests using virtual actors or simulation processes.
In the lab Multimedia and Virtual Reality the necessary knowledge is imparted in the following lab works.
- Generation of digital media for use in multimedia software applications
- Creation of interactive, multimedia applications
- Processing of images, audio and video sequences
- Application of professional production tools of media informatics, like Adobe Creative Suit
- Usability tests using an eye-tracking system
- 3D modeling and visualization of virtual worlds
- Creation of application for Augmented Reality
- Application of rendering techniques in computer animation
- Application of computer animation techniques such as keyframe animation, inverse kinematics and character animation
- Implementation of interaction techniques in 3D, such as gesture recognition for Microsoft Kinect or hand tracking for Leap Motion
Rooms: F01.302 and F01.303
Lab Signal Processing
Information is exchanged by signals
Practice of the development process from design, via simulation to the realization of circuits and systems, handling of special measuring instruments, e.g. standard instruments such as oscilloscopes, function generators, selective voltmeters, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, universal filters, signal processors of different manufacturers.
RLC circuit as filter, spectral representation, oscillations and periodic signals, noise signals Design and realization of digital filters, programming of signal processors
Lab Process Data Processing
Real-time steering and control
Sensor data must be recorded in all technical systems and facilities, such as production facilities or aircraft. These serve as the basis for controlling and regulating technical systems. The prerequisite for this is that the control and regulation takes place in real time.
The necessary knowledge is taught in laboratory exercises to control and regulate the flight paths of drones.