How to Enrol

Have you received your letter of admission?

If you have accepted an offer from Esslingen University of Applied Sciences after the application deadline has passed and received your letter of admission.
Please keep it somewhere safe - it contains important information.

How to enrol

Now you can enrol at Esslingen University – here’s how:

1. Fill in your enrolment application form

Fill in, print out and sign your enrolment application form.

2. Send in your documentation

Please send us all the necessary documentation before the deadline (see certificate of admission).

In any case, we need your

  • enrolment application
  • documentary evidence of health care insurance

We may need further documentation (see certificate of admission) – for example:

  • documentary evidence of a successfully completed pre-degree placement/internship (if required for your degree course)
  • de-enrolment certificate (if you have already been a student at another university)
  • documentary evidence of your right of residence (only for nationals of a foreign country outside the EU with foreign university entrance certificates)
  • certification of missing qualifications (only for Master’s degree courses).

Please send your documentation by post to:

Hochschule Esslingen – Esslingen University of Applied Sciences
- Zulassungsamt – Admissions Office -
Kanalstr. 33
73728 Esslingen

3. Payment of Compulsory Fees 

Don’t forget to pay the compulsory fees (e.g. Student Union contributions, administration fees). You should make payment of the entire amount by bank transfer to the bank account shown on your certificate of admission. This also shows how much you should pay by the enrolment deadline. 

4. Student Certificate – WILL ARRIVE BY POST

And that’s it. If all your documentation arrives before the deadline, you will receive your student certificate by post with further information about starting your course and important documents after a few weeks. For example:

Student ID and Student Certificate

Student ID

Student Services and Degree Programme Management Department is still informing how the student ID card will be issued in winter semester 2020/21.

Enrolment Certifiacte


With your student certificate, you will also get an enrolment certificate in accordance with § 9 BAFöG (Governmental support for students).

The enrolment certificate counts as the application form (Form 2) to apply for BAföG. Students who receive BAFöG should send a copy of their enrolment certificate to the financial support office of the Stuttgart Students Union: Studierendenwerk Stuttgart, Amt für Ausbildungsförderung, Holzgartenstr. 11, 70174 Stuttgart.  We do not validate Form 2 manually.

Discount for public transport


Within the local public transport network (VVS), you can travel free of charge from Mondays to Fridays after 18.00 and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. At other times, you will need a StudiTicket.

If you need certification to travel at reduced rates in public transport areas outside the local (VVS) area, you should note this in the appropriate place on the form. Applications for travel discounts are not separately validated by the University.  

FAQ’s and more detailed information

Enrolment by proxy


If you are unable to complete and sign the enrolment application personally, you can authorise another person to enrol you. In such cases, your application documentation should be accompanied by a letter (no forms required), signed by you, authorising a named person to apply for enrolment on your behalf.  The authorised person also has to remember to pay the necessary fees.

Enrolment deadline

What is the enrolment deadline?

Please note that your enrolment has to take place before the enrolment deadline. This deadline is shown on your certificate of admission.

Your enrolment application together with all the documentation specified in your certificate of admission must arrive at the University and all the necessary fees must be paid into the bank account of the Landesoberkasse by this date.

If you are unable to provide all the necessary documentation by the deadline, please get in contact with the Student Services and Degree Programme Management Department (Studierendensekretariat).

The enrolment deadline automatically excludes students who do not meet it. This means that if you miss the deadline, you cannot enrol and your student place will be given to another person.

Compulsory Fees

Compulsory Fees

The administration fees and all Student Union contributions must be paid by the enrolment/re-enrolment deadline. 

You can see what the fees for your degree course are on your certificate of admission

Please pay on time

Please make sure that you fill in the purpose (Verwendungszweck) completely and correctly. Otherwise, your payment to the University’s bank account (at the Landesoberkasse) cannot be followed back to you (the Landesoberkasse deals with payments to all the universities in Baden-Wuerttemberg!)  We need your application number to trace the payment back to you. You can find this number on your certificate of admission.

You can only enrol if your payment is already in the bank account of the Landesoberkasse by the deadline. So, make sure you deal with this in good time.

Pre-degree practical placement/internship

Evidence of a pre-degree practical placement/internship

Depending on your degree course, Bachelor’s degree courses, there are different deadlines for completing a pre-degree practical placement/internship. You can find information about this on the web pages of your Bachelor’s degree course.

Degree Course Deadline
FSB, FMP, FZB, MAP, MBB, VMP The pre-degree practical placement/internship
(12 weeks) has to be completed and certified
by the beginning of the 3rd semester.


The pre-degree practical placement/internship
(12 weeks) has to be completed and certified by the beginning of the 4th semester.
IEP The pre-degree practical placement/internship
(12 weeks) has to be completed and certified by
the beginning of the 6th semester.

You can find more details in the Regulations for pre-degree practical placements/internships.

Exemptions from student union fees


Students with severe disabilities can be partially exempted from payment of Student Union contributions.

If you are entitled to use public transport free of charge due to a severe disability, you can apply to have the cost of the StudiTicket refunded. When you enrol/re-enrol, please pay the complete Student Union contributions and then write to the Stuttgart Student Union at Studierendenwerk Stuttgart, Rosenbergstr. 18, 70174 Stuttgart with a copy of your severe disability pass to request a refund (no form necessary). 

De-enrolment certificate


If you have accepted a student place at another university, you have to withdraw from it, i.e. de-enrol as you cannot be enrolled at two universities at the same time.

Residence permits

Evidence of your right of residence

(Only for nationals of a foreign country outside the EU with foreign university entrance certificates)

You need a residence permit to study at Esslingen University. To enrol in a degree course, you have to show your passport and your residence permit or electronic residence title for specific purposes with supplementary sheet. The authority responsible for issuing residence permits / changing your residence status is the Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde) of your current place of residence.

Passport photo for the student card

Important notes on uploading the passport photo

Your passport photo

Without a passport photo we cannot issue you a student card. After your registration you will receive a letter with your access data to the university network. In this letter you will find information about what you need to consider when uploading your passport photo.

Apply for summer semester 2021!

Applications open October 15th 2020

More information