Design and Development in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (M. Eng.)
Innovative and Intercultural
New: APS Certificate required from applicants with degrees from India! -> Apply in time!
Build your networked knowledge in engineering design and development
The Esslingen M.Eng. in Design and Development in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (DDM) is focused on the design and development of complex engineering systems. In order to work in modern simultaneous engineering, graduates need specialized knowledge and the ability to work in interdisciplinary and international teams.
STUDY IN Esslingen- A ONE-IN-A-KIND ECOSYSTEM OF BIG PLAYERS, HIDDEN CHAMPIONS AND START-UPS
Esslingen University has a long tradition in educating mechanical and automotive engineers. The university has always taken advantage of its location in one of the major centres of European industry, and is therefore closely linked to the nearby companies, such as Daimler, Bosch, Festo, Porsche, Index and many others.
Learn to work in an interdisciplinary and intercultural environment
The DDM program reflects the needs of globally-oriented companies. We offer the opportunity for students from diverse cultural backgrounds to study, work and live together. The intercultural co-operation on project work is also of added value to master's students.
Our Programs: Students' #1 Choice!
The online portal StudyPortals asked students from 150 German universities how satisfied they were, we are very proud to announce that, out of these 150 German universities, Esslingen came in 10th place, flanked by top international universities of great renown.
The M.Eng. in Design and Development for Mechanical and Automotive Engineering at Esslingen Graduate School was reaccredited in 2020.
Find out more about our application details in "Application and Admission".
Contact our student ambassadors to get insights into the life and study in Esslingen.
Apply HERE for winter semester 23/24.
News 2022/2023: APS - certificate from applicants with degrees from India is required! -> Plan your application in time!
Degree Programme Leaflet
Facts and Figures - at a glance
|Degree awarded||Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)|
|Faculty||Mechanical and Systems Engineering|
|Campus||Esslingen City Centre Campus|
|Number of semesters||3|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Information on admission requirements|
Further Course Information:
Application period: November 2 - March 31
You can see our FAQ here
- Bachelor’s Degree in Automotive or Mechanical Engineering
- CAD (Pro/E or CATIA): 5CP
- Design/Machine Elements: 15CP
- Strength of Materials/Mechanics: 10CP
- Mathematics: 8CP
- Valid English language test (TOEFEL/IELTS)
- International TOEFL score of at least 530 paper-based, 197 computer-based, 71 internet-based (our code: 1680)
- An academic IELTS score of at least 6.0
- OPT test 75 points
- Cambridge Certificate (CAE or FCE)
- We do not accept the institutional TOEFL.
- Native English speakers and applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree entirely in English (certification from university) are exempt from the English language test.
All applications are handled through our Admission Form.
Upon clicking through to the form you will be asked to fill in some basic details and create an account before you are redirected to the actual application form.
The form can be partially completed and saved so that you are able to return and update if there is any information missing. Documents can be uploaded directly in to the form where necessary.
Please note that once you have clicked 'Submit' on the final page of the form no further changes can be made.
- Minimum level A1 upon arrival
- Minimum level A2 before the end ofthe second semester
Note for Applicants with degrees from China, Vietnam, India and Mongolia:
If you received your degree in China, Vietnam, India or Mongolia, we require that you present an APS-Certificate when applying to study at the Esslingen Graduate School. You can obtain an APS-Certificate by applying for one at the German Embassy in your home country. Note that this can take some time so if this applies to you please make sure that you start the process as soon as possible.
The fees for our International M. Eng. Master Programmes are €1500 per semester. Applicants should also consider the administration fees and general cost of living. More information on the fees can be found here.
Click for full course description
Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPO, in German)
- Current version of the programme-specific Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPO, in German) Stand vom 26.01.2023, gültig für Einschreibungen ab Sommersemester 2023
- Complete Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (in German) Master Engineering Science nichtamtliche Lesefassung, Stand vom 26.01.2023
- You find the complete list of all Degree Programme and Examination Regulations (SPOs, in German) in the intranet.
Approximately 95% of our students are international: about 50% of our ASM/DDM alumni live in Germany after graduation.
The yearly starting salary of our graduates is, on average, between 50,000€ and 70,000€.
AREA OF WORK
Graduates of the DDM program usually continue to a career in the following areas: the automotive industry and its component suppliers, the mechanical engineering industry, the process engineering industry and engineering consultancy.
Our graduates typically continue to a range of occupations from middle to top management.