M.Eng. in DDM
Innovative and International
- Build your networked knowledge in engineering design and development
- Study in the heart of the European automotive and mechanical engineering industry
- Learn to work in an interdisciplinary and intercultural environment
- Study in English - live in Germany
"The DDM program helped me to discover new technologies, processes and materials. It was very useful and essential for my career." - Alejandro Serrano, DDM 2016, now Module Engineer at SII Deutschland
Build your networked knowledge in engineering design and development
The Esslingen M.Eng. in Design and Development in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (DDM) is focused on the design and development of complex engineering systems. In order to work in modern simultaneous engineering, graduates need specialized knowledge and the ability to work in interdisciplinary and international teams.
DDM students gain core competence in problem-solving know-how, based on networked knowledge in design, development, simulation and production technology. Strong focus is placed on the ability to communicate confidently in the international environment of modern industry.
The aim of this course is to prepare students for a challenging job in the core areas of design and development within the globalized mechanical engineering and automotive engineering industry. Graduates of the DDM program usually continue to a career in the following areas: the automotive industry and its component suppliers, the mechanical engineering industry, the process engineering industry and engineering consultancy.
Study in the heart of the European automotive and mechanical engineering industry
Esslingen University of Applied Sciences has a long tradition in educating mechanical and automotive engineers. Founded in 1914 as the Royal College for Mechanical Engineering, the university has always taken advantage of its location in one of the major centres of European industry, and is therefore closely linked to the nearby companies. These include many global technological leaders in mechanical and automotive engineering, such as Daimler, Bosch, Festo, Porsche, Index and many others. These strong connections to the industry are especially important when it comes to the placement of the student’s master's thesis.
Learn to work in an interdisciplinary and intercultural environment
The DDM program reflects the needs of globally-oriented companies. We offer the opportunity for students from diverse cultural backgrounds to study, work and live together. This is made possible through active contact with partner universities in many countries throughout the world. The intercultural co-operation on project work is also of added value to master's students.
Our Programs: Students' #1 Choice!
How happy are students with their university? The online portal StudyPortals decided to find out. In its world-wide competition asking students from 150 German universities how satisfied they were, we are very proud to announce that, out of these 150 German universities, Esslingen came in 10th place, flanked by top international universities of great renown.
The Esslingen master's programs were among the first to be accredited in Germany, and are regularly reaccredited by the Accreditation Agency ZevA (Zentrale Evaluations- und Akkreditierungsagentur). This agency is responsible for examining and certifying STEM university programs, as well as interdisciplinary programs containing STEM subjects. The DDM program has worked closely with the Accreditation Agencyl to help ensure its continual development of high quality and international recognition.
The M.Eng. in Design and Development for Mechanical and Automotive Engineering was reaccredited in 2020.
DUE TO COVID-RELATED CHANGES TO OUR ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS, THE APPLICATION PERIOD WILL COMMENCE ON 2 NOVEMBER.
If you have questions about the application process, please see our application FAQs
I. PRE-APPLICATION: AS OF 2 NOVEMBER 2020
Step 1: Completely Fill Out the Online Application
Click ‘APPLY NOW’ at the bottom of the page to commence the online application.
Each page of the online application form MUST BE COMPLETELY FILLED OUT. When the online application is complete, please lock your data report and save it as a pdf.
Step 2: Create one pdf document out of your
- Application Attachment 3: a motivation letter, and
- The data report from the online application (see Step 1).
Step 3: Email that pdf file to
The subject of your email should be ONLY your programme ID number (GS…….), (see online application).
Your email must contain the line "In sending this email, I personally confirm that all the information in the attached files is correct. I understand that if I have included any false information in my application, I render myself ineligible for the Graduate School programmes."
Your email must be received in time for the pre-application process to be completed and to give you time, if applicable, to send in all further application documentation in Level 2 of the application process before 31 March 2021.
Please be aware that we cannot accept applications mailed to a different email address.
Step 4: Request that your recommenders email us the recommendation forms (Application Attachments 1A and 1B)
These should be emailed, with your programme ID in the subject line (GS……._Rec), to
- The subject of your email is ONLY your programme ID (GS…….).
- The pdf attachment is not larger than 1 MB.
- You have emailed your pre-application in time and included the sentence "In sending this email, I personally confirm that all the information in the attached files is correct. I understand that if I have included any false information in my application, I render myself ineligible for the Graduate School programmes."
- You have informed your recommenders to write the correct programme ID (GS……._Rec) in the email subject line when they send your recommendations.
If the above points are not fulfilled, we can not consider your application for admission.
When they have been received, your documents will undergo a primary review by the Admissions Committee. You will then be informed if you will take part in the next level of admissions, and how to proceed with your application.
II. LEVEL 2 APPLICATION: FURTHER DOCUMENTS, RECEIVED BY 31 MARCH 2021
(In exceptional cases, if your graduation takes place later than 31 March, it may be possible to bring a certified copy of the transcript and diploma certificate upon arrival in September.)
If you are asked to take part in Level 2 of the application process, you will need to send A DIGITAL COPY of following documents:
NOTE: All of these documents must be physically presented to the Esslingen Graduate School IN PERSON upon your arrival at the University. If ANY OF THESE DOCUMENTS are not accounted for and presented IN PERSON upon arrival, you will risk not being enrolled and will not be able to participate in any studies.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended (certified copies)
- Graduation diploma from each college or university attended (certified copies)
- Proof of English language proficiency (not necessary for Indian applicants)
We require one of the following tests:
- International TOEFL score of at least 530 paper-based, 197 computer-based, 71 internet-based (our code: 1680)
- An academic IELTS score of at least 6.0
- OPT test 75 points
- Cambridge Certificate (CAE or CPE)
- We do not accept the institutional TOEFL.
- Native English speakers and applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree in English (certification from university) are exempt from the English language test.
- Original APS for all applicants whose first degree is from PR China, Vietnam or Mongolia (www.aps.org.cn)
- Required credits in design:
- CAD (Pro/E or CATIA): 5 CP (=70 hours)
- Design/Machine Elements: 15 CP (=210 hours)
- Strength of Materials/Mechanics: 10 CP (=140 hours)
- Mathematics: 8 CP (=112 hours)
Applicants must also include the remaining forms from the Application Attachments with their Level 2 application:
- Transcript Evaluation Form
- Curriculum Vitae
DOWNLOAD YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE with the Acrobat Reader, and then fill in the form as far as possible at the computer. You should fill out your programme ID, as well as all attachments except the Recommendation Forms and the Transcript Evaluation Form on line.
When you have typed in your data, please pdf it ad have the Recommendation Forms and the Transcript Evaluation Forms filled in as instructed.
Add Supporting Documents
- Documents proving basic knowledge of the German language, at Level A1 (CEFR) or higher
- Any other documents that would allow us to evaluate you more fully
The Esslingen Student Ambassadors 2019/20
Our Student Ambassadors are master's students who would like to tell you what living in Esslingen is like! Just click on a photo to email our SAs your questions.
We are sure you will understand that if you send the same email to more than one SA = email deleted!!! And that SAs cannot give any information on admission requirements or Status.
The students of the Graduate School are given the opportunity to participate in a variety of interesting extracurricular projects. Whether their interests lie in the area of building a racing car in a university team, helping others at a social level, of writing newspaper articles or supporting incoming students, any student wishing to be active can find something for them.