Environmental Protection (M.Eng.)
This degree programme has been offered jointly by the four universities in and around Stuttgart since 1989. You study at all four collaborating universities, which means in each of the three semesters in which you focus on your specialisation, you have lectures and labs. on all four campuses. The academic modules are of practical relevance and comprise comprehensive lab. work and exercises.
The degree programme is organised and administered by Nürtingen-Geislingen University (Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Umwelt Nürtingen). Organisational aspects of the programme (application, advice, leave, etc.) are therefore dealt with by Nürtingen-Geislingen University.
Students are trained to take on roles in local authority, technical, and biological-ecological environmental protection and are awarded a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) 120 ECTS.
Student Advisory Service
General advice is available at all four universities involved. To supplement this service, we are available at any time as your point of contact when individual advice is required about the Master’s degree in Environmental Protection.
Person to contact at Esslingen University of Applied Sciences
Degree programme leaflet
Facts and Figures - at a glance
|Degree awarded||Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)|
|Faculty||Science, Energy and Building Services|
|Campus||Esslingen Hilltop Campus|
|Number of semesters||4|
|Language of instruction||german|
technical environmental protection, biological-ecological environmental protection, local authority environmental protection and environmental management
The deadlines for submitting applications are
- 15 January for the summer semester
- 15 July for the winter semester (Note! The application deadline has been extended to 1 Aug. 2020.).
You can commence your studies in either the winter or the summer semester.
Further information on our admission requirements
Only applicants who fulfil the following criteria can be admitted to the Master programme:
(1) Proof of having obtained a degree at a German university or college of cooperative education/university offering a degree apprenticeship programme or a comparable qualification at a foreign university in a Bachelor or Diplom programme in an a. engineering, b. natural sciences, or c. economics/business discipline. In cases of doubt, the Examination Board for the Environmental Protection Master programme will decide whether a degree programme can be assigned to one of the three categories.
(2) When an applicant has not yet completed their degree programme at a German university, or college of cooperative education/university offering a degree apprenticeship programme, or a comparable European university which has introduced the ECTS, at the time they submit their application, it is possible for admission to be granted subject to the proviso that proof that a suitable degree has been obtained is provided at the time of enrolment at the latest. In such cases, the following criteria must be met when the application is submitted: proof must be provided that 150 ECTS points from the study programme have been gained by an applicant on a 6-semester programme and 180 ECTS points for a 7-semester programme. If proof that a degree has been successfully obtained is not submitted by the deadline, the admission is cancelled.
Applicants with a degree from a foreign university
Esslingen University of Applied Sciences requires a university degree gained at a foreign university to be recognised by the Center for International Students at Constance University of Applied Sciences (Studienkolleg Konstanz).
The curriculum for the degree programme and detailed descriptions of the programme modules are contained in the Module Catalogue.Module Catalogue Environmental Protection (M.Eng.) (German Version)
The Master’s degree opens the door to the higher grade civil service and offers you a successful and future-oriented career in
- the public sector
- environment-related work at municipal and district administrations, chief executive offices, on a state and federal level e. g. environment agencies, nature conservation authorities, factory inspectorates, environmental monitoring authorities, research establishments and institutions.
- commercial enterprises
- companies and associations engaged in the supply of energy, water extraction and processing, waste disposal and recycling, in departments of energy and water supply, immission control and general environmental protection for big companies
- the private sector
- engineering and planning offices, landscape architects or providers of environmental protection services
- a self-employed capacity
- as a freelance environmental consultant and service provider or as an expert consultant.