History

The Royal Württemberg School of Construction (Königlich-Württembergischen Baugewerkeschule)

In 1868, the Royal Württemberg School of Construction in Stuttgart established a Department of Engineering. Soon, demand for this program was so high that the school in Stuttgart decided to expand to Esslingen. Industrial development in Esslingen was very advanced, especially in the area of engineering.

Royal Württemberg School of Engineering (Königlich-Württembergische Maschinenbauschule)

In 1914, the Royal Württemberg School of Engineering was moved from Stuttgart to Esslingen, and had approximately 600 students. In the following years, the spectrum of education was broadened, the school offering courses in electrical engineering, precision engineering, telecommunications, heating and ventilation. In 1938, the school was renamed the State Engineering School of Esslingen.

The Esslingen University of Applied Sciences

In 1971, German Engineering Schools became Universities of Applied Sciences. The Esslingen University of Applied Sciences added technical computer science and engineering management to its existing programs. In 1988, the Göppingen campus was opened, home to the Faculty of Mechatronics.

The Graduate School

In 1998, reacting to the demands of local industry, the Esslingen University of Applied Sciences started an international English-language MBA in International Industrial Management. This program was the first of its sort in Germany.

The success of the MBA was followed closely in 1999 by the establishment of two international MSc programs: the MSc in Automotive Engineering, and the MSc in Information Technology and Automation Systems. The Graduate School was inaugurated as an independent department in the university to organise the three international, English-language programs.

In 2006, the two universities existing on this site fused into one: together, the Fachhochschule für Technik and the Fachhochschule für Sozialwesen became the Hochschule Esslingen . This centralisation of the two administrative units has helped our university combine strengths and function more efficiently.

In 2007, after 8 years of experience, and working closely to meet industrial demands, the university changed the conception of its engineering master's programs and created the Master of Engineering in Automation Systems and the Master of Engineering in Design and Development for Mechanical and Automotive Engineering.